One Lutheran's Thoughts

Live and grow, change, reform...well, this blog used to be my 'primary' space, but not any more. This is now the online 'home' of my poetic ramblings and musings. Sometimes there is a faith/theological hue, while others not so much. Check out the pictures. Remember - literacy is visual too!

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Surfing the Waves - Feminism

I am currently taking a course on Feminist Bibilical Theology and I have to tell you it has me running to learn all I can. For instance, just earlier this week in our readings and in class we were talking about the "waves" of feminism. After we got to talking, I began to realize that there were several of us in the class who had no idea what the understanding of 'waves' was. So, I did some quick Internet research and pull up over 10 links that led to multiple definitions and descriptions of these 'three waves' - although there are two that seem to speak to two waves only.

What is intriguing is that between the 2nd and 3rd waves there seems to be a lot of contention and indeed anger. Reading through some of this (admittedly a small and somewhat unknown reliability of data and conversation) I have begun to see myself within the 3rd wave. Which really isn't too surprising, simply for calendar reasons. But after learning this I begin to ask why there isn't much positive and growing conversation between a 3rd and 2nd waver? That would be an interesting dialogue - something I am sure both sides could learn from. I can envision this in a 'blog' format - a dialogical blog. Hmmmm....this is something that I will have to continue to think about.

Finally, as a 3rd waver (who's just learned that she is a 3rd waver - or a 'surfer' at all!) I pray openness between all people - openness to our gifts and more importantly an openness to our faults. We are cracked vessels and yet within the love and support of community, and God's gracious action in our world we rebuild and are rebuilt. Let's be real today, knowing and learning from the realness of the past and the hope for full realness in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home