One Lutheran's Thoughts

Live and grow, change, reform...well, this blog used to be my 'primary' space, but not any more. This is now the online 'home' of my poetic ramblings and musings. Sometimes there is a faith/theological hue, while others not so much. Check out the pictures. Remember - literacy is visual too!

Monday, August 15, 2005

ELCA 9th Churchwide Assembly - Day 6 Reflections

This is my last day at the assembly, as I pack up and prepare to take off for internship on Sunday!

I am tired. I am overwhelmed. But most of all I am thankful for this experience. I have learned so much about the ELCA as the larger church and the involvement and interaction of the individual congregations, synods and regions.

The major issue being debated just prior to my leaving was the Palestinian/Israel motion which calls the church to stand with the LWF in the No More Walls peace movement and to continue our support for the Lutheran Church in Palestine and the Holy Land. As I listened to parts of this debate (I left prior to its completion) I was shocked at some of the things I was hearing. There were folks that were saying that the walls were needed for containment of the Palestinians - and that we should support this. I was shocked, for these folks were asking for the Palestinians to be 'caged in' like animals, as though the Israeli's are innocent in all the blood-shed and struggle. There is so much hurt and pain in the area - we need to stand with all those in pain and work for peace for everyone in the region! I learned later that this motion passed, and that the motion is located on the ELCA website Click here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home