One Lutheran's Thoughts

Live and grow, change, reform...well, this blog used to be my 'primary' space, but not any more. This is now the online 'home' of my poetic ramblings and musings. Sometimes there is a faith/theological hue, while others not so much. Check out the pictures. Remember - literacy is visual too!

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

ELCA 9th Churchwide Assembly - Day 2 Reflection

There is an overwhelming theme of "do not fear" yet I FEAR that this theme is only adding the the growing and intense fear experienced and felt by many who are present here at this churchwide assembly. Not a fear of ultimacy per se, but a fear of the unknown and what then. At least that is what I sense, and I would be remiss if I, in sharing this sense, didn't acknowledge this as my own personal fear.

I sat up until 2AM last night talking about a conversation in the bar earlier in the evening. Two old friends were talking and they both appeared on 'either side' of the sexuality issue. For one, there is a very personal connection in that they have a brother who is homosexual and his partner seeks a rostered vocation within the church. The other person while I am not aware of any personal ties such as this, does have friends and acquaintances who are homosexual and yet the doctrinal and scriptural witness do not allow this person to be in favor of the issues before this assembly.

But what I experienced in that conversation was God's full grace in living, breathing beauty. These two friends, while passionately disagreeing, even to the point of tears were able to embrace each other following this debate and remind each other that regardless of where any of us fall on this issue we can not forget the truth that Christ died for all of us, and that in the end our divisions are mute. In this is where my hope resides.

On another note - the exceeding politicalness of this assembly is repulsive. As we walk through the halls of this assembly we are always and constantly barraged with people shoving pamphlets in our hands or holding up pictures that I assume are suppossed to call us to a feeling of guilty or shame. These groups - on both sides of the issue are drawing us away from the fullness of our call as the Christian church. This is where I am reminded of our brokenness.

Please keep praying for this church and all who are gathered to make decisions regarding the life and mission of this church in the world.

1 Comments:

  • At 10/8/05 15:23, Blogger Carlos said…

    Kim,
    I admire your courage to be where you are right now in light of what is happening in your life currently. However, the journey itself is about fear; about discovering and facing your own fears, about living into God's kingdom in spite of that fear and doubt. When I think of you, I see Peter, stepping out of the boat in the MIDST of the storm, not waiting for the seas to calm, but entering into the chaos for that is where the master calls us. He does not promise that the storm will not rage, but that he will be with us all the while. Peace be with you my sister.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home